July 10, 2014: Today was my final day in London before I would head out on a three-day trip to Amsterdam and Bruges. It was a light day overall as I allowed myself to sleep in following two days of excursions featuring early-morning wakeup calls and long bus rides. Since I had been in London for nearly two weeks and hadn’t yet visited Buckingham Palace, I thought today would be a good day to do so.
But first, after grabbing some lunch and buying a new umbrella, I hopped on the tube to Baker Street so I could walk in the footsteps of Gerry Rafferty while also stopping by the Sherlock Holmes statue. I then took the tube to Hyde Park Corner and walked through Green Park past some war memorials and through the Wellington Arch before making my way to Buckingham Palace along Constitution Hill. Here are some photos from my day:
One interesting tidbit about Buckingham Palace: apparently the Queen does not like the palace. According to a guide from one of my tours, she derisively refers to Buckingham as “the office,” only going there long enough to dispense with official duties before retreating to one of her preferred palaces. She was actually staying at her palace in Edinburgh when I was there the previous week. I can see her point: it’s not the most attractive palace in the world.
After spending some time outside the palace (the inside was not open to tourists at this time of the year) I walked around Green Park for a bit longer before grabbing some dinner and then heading back to my flat. I decided to call it an early night since I had a lot of packing to do and an extremely early wakeup call the next morning. I was looking forward to my visits to Amsterdam and Bruges, though I felt as if, despite spending two weeks here, I had only just scratched the surface of everything London had to offer.
- Eurotrip 2014: The Movie
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 1: Planning a Trip Across the Pond
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 2: Touchdown in London and a View from the Shard
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 3: Doing the London Tourist Thing
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 4: A Day in Paris
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 5: Bath and Stonehenge
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 6: And Now for Something Completely Different…
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 7: Off to Scotland
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 8: A Journey Through Braveheart Country
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 9: Sunset on Calton Hill
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 10: Edinburgh Castle
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 11: Rock ‘n’ Roll Pilgrimages and a West‑End Vampire
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 12: The Cotswolds
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 13: Leeds Castle and Dover
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 14: Canterbury, Greenwich, and More London