After a long, long delay, I am finally returning to the journal of my 2014 European trip. Perhaps I might finish it before 2016 rolls around. 🙂
July 9, 2014: Fresh from my visit to the Cotswolds on the previous day, I embarked on another excursion outside London. Today I would be visiting Leeds Castle, Dover, Canterbury, and Greenwich, before boarding a boat that would take me along the Thames back into central London. This was my fourth and final trip booked through Premium Tours.
The first stop was Leeds Castle. Our group was given a private tour before the castle opened to the public, enabling me to get plenty of people-free shots. Leeds may not be as big as other castles, but it’s very pretty and serene, situated on a lake and surrounded by beautiful grounds. It’s worth a visit if you’re looking for a day out from London to a nearby destination.
Little did I know that in less than two years I would be returning (and actually staying in the castle for a couple of nights) for my sister-in-law’s upcoming wedding. This time I will be visiting the castle in February, so perhaps I’ll get some new photos with snow cover to contrast with the summer photos below:
Our next stop after Leeds Castle was Dover for a chance to view the famous white cliffs. Unfortunately it was just a 15-minute stop, so I only had time for a few photos.
After leaving Dover we next headed to the land of Chaucer: Canterbury. That part of the trip will be covered in the next installment.
- Eurotrip 2014: The Movie
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 1: Planning a Trip Across the Pond
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 2: Touchdown in London and a View from the Shard
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 3: Doing the London Tourist Thing
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 4: A Day in Paris
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 5: Bath and Stonehenge
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 6: And Now for Something Completely Different…
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 7: Off to Scotland
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 8: A Journey Through Braveheart Country
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 9: Sunset on Calton Hill
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 10: Edinburgh Castle
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 11: Rock ‘n’ Roll Pilgrimages and a West‑End Vampire
- Eurotrip 2014, Part 12: The Cotswolds